RE: B-series timing covers & oil throwers

To: <BarneyMG@aol.com>
Subject: RE: B-series timing covers & oil throwers
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 17:48:52 -0500

>>Very good!  Learn something new every day.  Now,
>>not that it has anything to do with the oil thrower, but
>>just out of curiosity, would anyone know what a late
>MGA MK-II crankshaft pulley looks like?  Would it be
>> the same part number as an early MBG pulley?

That would make sense to me since the change occured
just prior to the start of 'B' production, but I've no way of
confirming this ... IOW, seems more likely that they would
have used the pulley from the, soon to be introduced, 18G
engine than to produce a part that was only used for the
last 588 16GC engines ... I've seen the factory "Parts Lists"
advertised ... perhaps the change is documented there ...
anyone have the MGA 1600 Parts List? ... does it cover
the MkII changes?  (Interesting to note that the VB Part No
for the 'A' pulley is the same as thier 'B' part number for
for engines up to 18GUH5571)

Several other notable changes occured that could lead one
to believe that bits from the, soon to be introduced, 18G
3-main 'B' engine were being fitted to the 16GC engines ...
though they could be just normal production changes that
carried over to the 'B' ... should prove interesting to check
these against the 'A' parts list.

Sept '61 commencing with engine 3708 a "[l]ighter flywheel
was introduced" ... Oct '61 the "[g]earbox first motion shaft
with involute splines formed by rolling, giving stronger spline
section at reduced cost; clutch driven plate modified to suit.".

>>>... The TRF 'B' catalog lists two oil throwers ... 12H 775 up
>>>to engine 18GB11850 and oil thrower 12H 1740 thereafter ...
>
>>Also news to me, but the latter part number is probably not
>>relevant to the MGA engines.

Agreed ... the point I was trying to make was that the TRF 'B'
Part No 12H 775 crossed with the Brown & Gammons 'A' Part
No 12H 775.

>>>My uneducated guess is that, as per your experience, a
>>>change in the oil thrower did occur and the vendors are
>>>shipping the 'B' oil thrower 12H 775 .
>>
>>My only guess is that the part that Moss supplies fits the
>>late MGA Mk-II and all of the MGB 1800 engines, but since
>>it's only an assumption, I'm probably wrong, especially since
>>we know the catalogs are missing something here.

It would seem that once the change occurred the old part
number was superceded by the new ... IOW, all subsequent
requests for an oil thrower were filled with the new part ...
make sense?

>>>Since you started this thread, and the conversion has
>>>recieved the "BarneyMG Seal of Approval" ... my
>>>recommendation is that you purchase Part No 433-815
>>>from Moss, Part No 1-092 from VB, and part no 12H 1775
>>>from TRF... compare them with an original (unmodified) 'A'
>>>oil thrower ... and report your findings to the list. ;^)
>
>>  {:-/    {:-\    <8<((     I@#$%^&*.   I'll do my best to refrain
>from calling someone a smart ass here, ...[snip] ...

I think ya just did ... :^p

>>... [snip] ... but he's probably right.  It's just the sort of
>>thing that somebody needs to do. As I will be buying some
>>new engine parts almost immediately from somebody
>>(probably Moss or VB), I will start collecting new oil
>throwers as I go.  Since I don't like to place a separate
>>order and pay $4-$5 for shipping just for a $2 part, it could
>>be a while before I get the whole assortment of oil throwers.

Keep me informed as to which vendors ya still need and I
will do my best to pick up a thrower, but won't be placing an
>order until next year.

>>Also, I don't have a TRF catalog, so would somebody
>>please ante up a contact number for TRF?

Wayne Kube has already forwarded this to you ... let me know
if ya didn't get it.

>>Barney Gaylord
>>1958 MGA

... "With an Attitude" ... the 'A' that is ... ;^)

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com