Re: '76B fuel pump problems

To: engconn@pottsville.infi.net
Subject: Re: '76B fuel pump problems
From: Geoff Love <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 19:09:38 -0500
Geoff Love wrote:

> Hezekiah Bolton wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  I have a problem getting my B running (that sounds really original)!
> >
> >  Scenario:
> >  I drove it to a body & fender shop for dent removal and painting- in
> >  mid September.  I'm a merchant seaman and was gone for about two months.
> >  My wife went to pay the bill and drive the car home approx the 2nd week
> >  of Oct and the car wouldn't start.  It came home on  the end of a tow
> >  truck.
> >  When I arrived about mid-November, it would try to start; good starter
> >  action, I recharged the battery, but no THUMP THUMP THUMP from the fuel
> >  pump.  I checked for power to the terminal and it was there.   Soooo,  I
> >  figured the pump had crapped out.
> >  Well, I changed the pump out last night and nothing different occurred.
> >  So, has anyone been thought something similar to this?
> >  If so, I'd really appreciate any pointers, tips, hints, better guesses,
>etc.
> >  I haven't rolled up my sleeves yet to really tear into this problem.
>Thought
> >  I'd check with this list first.
> >
> >  To put it in a word,   HHHHEEELLLPPP!!!
> >
> >  Hez of the Pacific NW
> >  '76 MGB
>
> Yes.  I've had condensation in the petrol tank after standing for a few
> weeks.  As all pilots know, water is heavier than petrol and sinks to
> the bottom of the tank.  This is the first liquid to be pulled through
> the fuel lines, and gives trouble starting and/or rough running.  Try
> disconnecting the fuel line again at the pump, sucking some fuel
> through, and discarding, a la aviation practice.  Then gently back blow
> air through the line in case there has been sediment clogging the line.
> After all that, re connect to the pump, and disconnect from the carb. to
> find out if fuel is reaching the carb.  I also suggest changing the
> stale petrol. Had it once in a light aeroplane, shortly after takeoff.
> The pucker factor was 11 on a scale of 10.
>
> Geoff Love, The English Connection.

Oops, sorry.  I just re-read your note.  I had assumed when you said you
had no Thump etc., you were referring to the fact that the engine woul;d
not fire.  You obviously meant the second pump was not beating and
pumping fuel.  Presumably, if you have current in the hot wire, and the
pump doesn't function, unless the second pump is U/S as well, I can only
think that once again we are knocking at the door of a bad earth
connection.

Geoff Love.