Holding your nuts, bad parts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Holding your nuts, bad parts
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 11:12:20 -0600
When I have had a tough time holding a nut / washer / spacer together in
the past, I have used super glue and glued everything together.  I don't
know how that would work if there was much oil around since I have done it
on bodywork- fender shims and such.

Speaking of bad new parts.  I remember when I bought my Spitfire.  It
showed up on a trailer which kind of surprised my SO since I failed to
mention that one of the reasons that it was so cheap was that it wouldn't
start.  The DPO had put on a new starter.  That hadn't fixed it so he gave
up on the Prince of Darkness and sold the car at a considerable discount.
I went over it from end to end and decided that the new starter was bad.  I
went down to the local Big Wheel and picked up a rebuilt.  I put that one
in and the car still wouldn't start.  I tested everything again.  My SO
asked what was wrong.  I said "this new starter is bad, too."  I don't know
about you but the SO has never thought that much about my mechanical
ability.  I guess she sees all the little mistakes I make and figures I
must be an idiot.  At this point my credibility was all used up and I was
just about to get a "you wasted our money on this piece of junk and you
can't fix it" speech.

Well, I went and picked up another rebuilt starter and the third time was
the charm.  The car started and everyone was happy for 2 or 3 days until
the electronic ignition packed it in.  I fixed that one on the first try
and really amazed the SO.

But it could always be a bad ground.

Regards
Bill Eastman