Re: Texas winters and MGA's - no fun

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Texas winters and MGA's - no fun
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 19:20:22 -0600 (CST)
>And a light went on in Ray's head:

>If it was just the gas that entered during your starting efforts, I should

[snip]

>saw out the rear view mirror that it looked as if I was fogging for
>mosquitoes.  The dipstick showed way over full, and when I drained the
>sump I got out about 8 quarts of 50-50 gas:oil mix.  I'm lucky it didn't
>explode.

Ok. That makes sense.. We are changing the oil, anyway, as it was the first
of an interation of changes that we have lined up for the car.

>The car's continuing to smoke after 15 min of running is the only reason
>for my suggesting this.  A stuck float might also have flooded the car
>and could explain the slow cranking and hard starting.  Just as a
>precaution, I would pull out the dipstick, check the level, and smell the
>oil.  If you detect any gasoline odor, I would change the oil as a

Betcha' ten bucks it's full of gasoline!

>precaution.  I would wait for the 60 degrees my San Antonio dwelling
>brother tells me is the winter norm, though. I sent him a copy of your
>original post, to show him I have evidence he is putting me on.  From now
>on, I'm going to tell him it is 70 here in Vermont.

Well...even *I* would have a time of it trying to imagine a 70deg day in
Vermont in late December. Talk about "global warming!!" It is supposed to
get into the 60's here by the weekend. Go figure!!

I can handle the cold weather when I'm prepared for it. Here, we generally
only get "cold snaps," not long durations of cold that one can prepare for.
Therein lieth the rub. It is apt to be in the 90's on Christmas Day. It was
last year!! How does one keep a closet, much less a household, prepared for
20-90 deg temps week-to-week. OTOH, I should think that Vermont is beautiful
about now...cold, but beautiful...

Thanks for the tips on the gas.

I have another question, based upon your reply. Baby-sister has trouble
starting this car every single time, unless it's just sat for a couple of
hours.

What procedures would be required to track down the source of the lengthy
starting times, even when the car is started once a week..assuming that the
battery is hot enough to turn the motor?

Carol