Texas winters and MGA's - no fun

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Texas winters and MGA's - no fun
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 14:40:56 -0600 (CST)
This is a "love-hate" story, and I usually tend to get a bit windy,
so...continue reading at your very own risk!

Setting:

December 17, 1996
San Antonio, Texas
Time: 5:30 p.m. CST
Temp: 28 deg. F
Wind: 25 mph out of the north
Windchill: had to be at least  -80F
MGA location: carport, opening facing north - no enclosure
Lighting: two propane Coleman lanterns
Available heat: one body (mine) and two propane Coleman lanterns

Monday we decided to put more antifreeze in the MGA since northern Canada
was fixin' to blow into town. We drained the radiator at midnight and put in
more antifreeze. It was too late to start the car because it runs pretty
loud, and lives under the bedroom window of an 80-year-old lady.

Tuesday: My mission is to start the car to mix in the new antifreeze.

So...I'll get around to it, right? At about 5 p.m. I decide that I'd better
do the deed. No problem. It's not too bad out here, I said as I left my warm
nest while the sun was still shining. Well....it was downhill from there!

I took petrol with me, so I carefully pulled the car cover back enough to
add it to the tank. Then I carefully pulled the car cover and tonneau cover
away from the near side so I could get the job done in a trice, and not have
to wrestle with the covers when I was done. The brand new battery turned the
motor over VERY  slowly, and the cold-natured "Beast" would not start. It
has a touchy starting personality, anyway.

I pulled the battery cover, after removing the tonneau cover. By this time,
the car cover had turned into a giant sail. It was jolly fun taming it in
the dark, trying to keep it away from the lanterns. Not!! :-(    And the
battery was turning too slowly to do anything good for the car.

After an hour in the dark, with no more feet and no more fingers, I plodded
to Donna-Owner-Sister's house for a defrosting period, during which I
finally got my nephew's printer drivers to fire up. Well, that was ONE
accomplishment!

DOS walked in and I told her to keep her coat on, get a hat, and let's go
start that "Beast.".
And don't forget to bring the van! We'll have to jump the battery.

We tried and tried and tried and tried -- for 2-1/2 hours!! (Probably have
to get a new starter from Dallas George after this episode!!) We'd hear a
"ch.." then a "ch..ch...ch.." Our frozen hearts soared. Then... "ch..."
then...nothing. We waited -- her bundled up in the car out of the wind and
me walking around on the semi-frozen concrete in the 'breeze.'

OK. Let's wait 10 minutes. We giggled like little kids hiding our utter
discomfort from each other. OK. Try her again. "ch..."  Rats. OK, another 15
minutes. "Ch...ch..ch..ch..ch..." C'mon Darlin'! You can do it. Start,  you
cold-natured "Beast"!  "Ch..." Nothing.

The iterations continued. I noticed that DOS was leaving the key on and told
her what was happening under the bonnet. She turned the key off.

OK. Let's try it again. Nothing. Wait. Again. Nothing. Another thirty
minutes pass...Laughter peals from the front seat. "I forgot to turn the key
back on." The good news: the engine was turning faster.

After another 30 minutes, Darlin' finally fired up. NOT happy with the
temps. And smoke? Jeez Louise, you couldn't see across the street.

Well, that's my Christmas story! Now that Darlin's got feet (except we'll
have to get new hubs because of the worn splines) I guess the carbs or
something under that bonnet is going to need attention.

Why on earth was that engine so hard to turn over? It's got Castrol 20-50 in
the crankcase. I used 10-40 in my Firebird and it would start in 5-degree
weather in Colorado. Maybe the "50" is too think for the MGA in the winter??
Any suggestions??

That episode was sufficient to warrant my reconsideration of a purchase of
another MGA. If I never have an experience like that again, it'll be too soon!

And why all the smoke from the exhaust? The engine just purrs. Sounds great.
Will we be looking at a carb rebuild, or just a carb tune-up?

Thanks for sharing in Carol's Perils!!

Carol