Re: MGB Engine production data

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Engine production data
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 10:36:04 -0600
mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca wrote:

[misc deleted]

> I assumed that this meant that my engine is a 18GH RWe H ------.  Does your
> engine have a J stamped below the main number?  According to Clausager this
> would be correct for the number 25916 which describes a California
> evaporative loss control engine built between October '69 and August '70.
> The complete range of numbers for 18GJ engines is 22647 - 43548.  These are
> found in cars numbered 187701 - 218651.
>
> My car, being an H series was numbered differently but is correct for the
>year.
>
> I think you have the correct engine, especially if you find the J marking.
>
> John McEwen

This discussion leads me to a question:

I have a 70 MGB, car # 208609 with engine number 18GH-RWE-H33177. I just
finished tearing down the engine in preparation of having some machining
done.

I noticed that the rods in this engine are of the 5-main angled split
type which were used in the GB-GF engines. According to Moss & VB this
engine should have the horizontal split type. I have some history of the
car, but nothing to indicate that the engine was changed. Is it possible
that MG still had the old rods/engines around in 1970 or am I looking at
a pre-70 engine?

                        - Jeff