Re: MGB Engine production data

To: SOUTHTUC@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB Engine production data
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 22:07:28 -0500
>I have a question for someone who has a better grasp of MG production data
>then I do.  Over the weekend I went out and picked up what I was led to
>believe was the original engine for my 1970 MGB.  I bought the car three
>years ago without the drive train and replaced it with a 72 engine and
>transmission.  I though it would be great if I could get my hands on the
>original, but now I have my doubts that thats what I got.  After scraping off
>a dozen years of dirt and rust I found the following engine number, 18G RWE
>H25916.  It doesn't match up with MG's production numbers for the 70 model
>year.  The guy swears it the engine he pulled out of my car and I'm sure he
>did.  The blocks in good shape and I intend to go ahead and rebuild it this
>winter, but I'd really like to know what I'm starting with.  Any help would
>be appreciated.
>
>Tuck
>70 B (hers)
>55 TF (mine)

Hi Tuck:

I had a somewhat similar question about the engine in my '70B.  My engine
number had the second letter (which indentifies the engine more
specifically) stamped into the ID plate below the main number.  See below

                        18G RWe H ------

I assumed that this meant that my engine is a 18GH RWe H ------.  Does your
engine have a J stamped below the main number?  According to Clausager this
would be correct for the number 25916 which describes a California
evaporative loss control engine built between October '69 and August '70.
The complete range of numbers for 18GJ engines is 22647 - 43548.  These are
found in cars numbered 187701 - 218651.

My car, being an H series was numbered differently but is correct for the year.

I think you have the correct engine, especially if you find the J marking.

John McEwen