Re: MGB door adjustments

To: skog@whidbey.com
Subject: Re: MGB door adjustments
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 01:03:00 EST
On Wed, 25 Dec 1996 13:14:29 -0800 Dennis Skog <skog@whidbey.com> writes:
>Started putting my '66 MGB back together a few weeks ago and am at a
>loss
>getting the doors to align properly. The passenger side door is offset
>
>outward at the top by 1/2 " measured from the top of the windscreen.
>The
>misalignment is not in the quarterlight but the door itself. Are there
>
>any adjustments to move the door hinges in/out ?
>
>Dennis Skog
>'66 MGB
>'60 Jag MK I

Dennis,
Had a similar problem with my 69, the front drivers side wing was
replaced and afterward the door was fouling the new wing by about an
eighth of an inch at the bottom although it was aligned at the open side
with the trim on the rear panel.
The problem was solved fairly simply with a set of proprietry shims
purchased from the local "go faster place" - I say simply...... - the
door hinge screws had not been off when the wing was replaced and were
extremely tight - it was a good hour with my trusty 30" phillips to
loosen them sufficiently and about another two hours putting shims in,
taking them out, putting them in.......etc.
The net result was quite satisfactory, the whole door is i suppose a
shade under an eighth inch further back meaning there is no further
clearance at the open end  but is well aligned at both endsand operates
perfectly.
Hope yours is as simple, (but choose a warm day when you have little else
planned!!

mike robson
69 roadster
72 roadster