Flying Shingle

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Flying Shingle
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 19:43:48 +1100 (EST)
Are there any US listers who can go back to the mid fifties and recall
seeing "The Flying Shingle" of Ken Miles in action?

In my view his was a design many years ahead of its time, especially given
the 'square rigger' chassis on which it was built.

Constructed out of MG and Morris Minor parts and with a severly stylised
body aimed at reducing frontal area to improve aeorodynamics this required
lowering the engine and driving position by 3.5 inches.

What he did with the carburettors to lower their profile was extremely
innovative.

During 1955 the car won the under 1500cc class at Palm Springs; Pebble
Beach; Santa Barbara and others.

Ken Miles went on to become involved in the design of Carroll Shelby's
Cobra 427 and later the Ford GT40. It was while driving a Ford GT prototype
at Riverside in 1966 that he was tragically killed in a violent crash.

>From an article I read about three years ago the car was then alive and
well and living in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Paul