Re: Sprite Front Suspension

To: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Subject: Re: Sprite Front Suspension
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 09:23:19 -0800
Wayne Kube wrote:

> SMitch1441@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I had planned to place the spring into position, raise the A-arm, then
> > compress the spring by using a hydraulic bottle jack under the end of the
> > A-arm.  Once compressed the trunnion would then be bolted to the end of the
> > lever shock.  I'm worried about the spring popping lose during this process
> > and becoming a missle.  Is this the best approach?
>
> That's how I did it on my B.  I felt pretty safe about it.  The spring
> isn't under much compression until you are ready to bolt things together
> - and the pans have a deep recess to hold the ends of the spring.  I did
> use a block of wood between the jack and the A-arm - less chance of the
> jack slipping off the arm.

Second Wayne on that. You'll find that there isn't much room for a
spring compressor due to the deep pocket in the cross member (upper end)
If you still feel uneasy, tie a couple of turns of safety wire or a coat
hanger aroud a middle turn of the coil and to the shaft by the end of a
shock arm. It would kleep it from going far and be cut away after you're
done.    Jarl