Re: Sprite Front Suspension

To: SMitch1441@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sprite Front Suspension
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 21:27:31 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 28 Dec 1996 SMitch1441@aol.com wrote:

> I'm in the process of completely replacing the front suspension on my 1963
> Sprite.  New A-arms, springs, king pins, bushing, etc.  I've mounted the
> A-arm, king pin, and swivel axle assembly on the car with the new A-arm
> bushings.  I now need to install the new springs.  What is the safest way to
> install the springs?
>
> I had planned to place the spring into position, raise the A-arm, then
> compress the spring by using a hydraulic bottle jack under the end of the
> A-arm.  Once compressed the trunnion would then be bolted to the end of the
> lever shock.  I'm worried about the spring popping lose during this process
> and becoming a missle.  Is this the best approach?

That will work, though the bottle jack is more likely to slip than a
floor jack.  See if you can borrow a floor jack.  Have the suspension
hanging free in the fully extended position, and you will not have to
compress the spring much at all to hook things together.

An alternative way is to remove the lower spring pan.  Put the suspension
together.  Then get some threaded rod, washers, and nuts.  Put the spring
in place, then attach the spring pan with 4 inch or so lengths of
threaded rod.  Washers under the nuts will help the nuts turn.  Pull the pan
into place with the threaded rod, then remove the rods one at a time and
replace with the standard bolts and nuts.  Again, be sure the suspension
is in the full rebound (hanging) position to make this easier and safer.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910