Re: MGB lighting system & alternator upgrade?

To: Naoki Takebayashi <ntakebay@bio.indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB lighting system & alternator upgrade?
From: Shel Bercovich <sbercovi@cadvision.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 22:31:38 -0700
I have run and am still running Cibie or Bosch halogens on all three of
my B-GTs with no change in wiring or alternator. Have only "lost" one
alternator in over 200,000 miles and that was mostly because I left the
lights on a bunch of times and didn't take the time to fully recharge
the battery, thus putting the load on the alt. (I have always run with
the headlights on - day or night.)

When I was fortunate enough to have a pair of Cibie Biodes, I ran them
with relays so that all four bulbs were lit on high beam. Together with
the Raydyot spot lamp I used to have, it gave me a total of 275 Watts of
light - when there wasn't any traffic. Great for running "at speed"
through the mountains at night, though the lights tended to "go out"
when I rounded a corner. :-)

There's the benefit in having two separate driving lights - they can be
aimed cross-wise to give greater lighting at the side of the road.

Don't know how good the Z-beams are; fortunately we're not forced to
used them here and can use the standard European cut-off.

Have fun,
Shel

Naoki Takebayashi wrote:
[snip - re: improved B lighting}
>Is the stock alternator
> (rebuilt A1611R from Moss) enough to support the increased load??  Or will
> I need to get a more powerful alternator?  I guess I need to install relays
> and better wire,[snip]...
Shel Bercovich  sbercovi@cadvision.com      trcr@canuck.com     /\
Join the Trail Riders of the Canadian Rockies (Non-Profit)     /  \
    See our WEB pages at: http://www.canuck.com/~trcr         / /\ \
                   Or at: http://www.cadvision.com/trcr      / /  \ \
        "Come Ride with Us in Banff National Park"