Re: Sealed beams

To: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Sealed beams
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 05:50:24 -0500 (EST)
Sounds pretty accurate, not that it is so important the replacement bulb
system was available as early as 89 model year cars (we owned a Taurus with
them) could have been available earlier.  Having spent much team stationed
in Germany you are absulutly correct about the wattage of those aeuropean
lights.  They could be a killer!@!!!!

At 03:13 PM 1/2/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I am sure that this is highly innacurate nonetheless I will throw in my 2
>cents.
>
>I believe that sealed beam headlights became the law in the early Fifities
>in an attempt to standardize lighting systems in the U.S.  The thought was
>that if there was only 2 types of headlight, then anyone could get a
>replacement anywhere.  The reason that they went sealed beam was to ensure
>that the reflector was always in good shape and to allow for universal
>replacement due to rock damage.
>
>In the fifties, this was a good idea.  Like many good ideas at the time, it
>outlived it's usefullness.  In the Seventies, DOT went hog wild and allowed
>square headlights.  Personally, I thind quad square headlights are about
>the ugliest thing ever put on a car.  These were still sealed beam even
>though the reason for sealed beams- rock damage and reflector degradation-
>had long since become low risks due to improvements in roads and materials.
>
>In the early Nineties, DOT finally started allowing separate bulb/reflector
>systems using a standardized halogen insert.  I believe that now separate
>bulb/ reflector assemblieas are legal provided that they use the standard
>bulb.
>
>There is still a limit on wattage for the bulbs so this is the reason that
>many European lighting systems are illegal.  The may not use the standard
>U.S. bulb format either.
>
>If you use a halogen replacement that meets U.S. wattage laws, your LBC
>wiring should be able to handle it unaltered- assuming it could handle the
>original lights.  If you upgrade to an "illegal" light, you may be asking
>for trouble because they can draw a lot more amperage.
>
>Also, I have _never_  known anyone that has been ticketed for illegal
>headlights.
>
>Again, this is my understanding of the situation and if anyone knows the
>real facts, by all means pipe in.
>
>Regards
>Bill Eastman
>61 MGA  with sealed beam halogen replacements

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.