Re: Jacobs ignition systems- my opinion

To: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Jacobs ignition systems- my opinion
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 11:14:31 +0000
William Eastman wrote:

> I have always been skeptical of the claims that Jacobs make in their
> advertising.

Yes, and they do make pretty big claims!

> Jacobs also claims to use newer technology than MSD.  This may or may not
> be true but technology in itself will not give better performance.  If the
> technology impacts one of the variables then it would be a benifit but
> Jacobs never makes a specific claim for better performance.

And in the fine print, Jacobs says they use an *analog* computer. As a
digital nerd myself, I would be real skeptical as to what an *analog*
computer might be in this day and age. It wouldn't have to be very much
at all.

> I had an MSD system on a Chrysler 440 once and it did give a more reliable
> idle with the performance camshaft.  It also seemed to bog less off the
> line with sudden throttle openings.  Other than that I couldn't say that it
> was an improvent.

Thanks for MSD feedback. Those things in your 440 are the same things
I'm living with in the C/GT (aggressive cam and Webers). I think an MSD
is in my future. And, after two years, the Spitfires are going in the
trash to be replaced with simple Champions.

> As alway my opinions (just like armpits, everyone has a couple and most of
> them stink) YMMV, I make no money off this.

Armpits, yeah, that is a different anatomical analogy...

> Regards
> Bill Eastman

Thanks for your usual thoughtful response.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69MGC/GT, '75TR6
--
*** STANDARD DISCLAIMER
*** Please assume all lines end with smiley face emoticon :-)