Engine Machine Shop services ??s

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Machine Shop services ??s
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 07:48:11 -0800
I know alot of you are thinking "say it isn't so" but I'm not the "know
it all" you think I am or that, you think, I think, I am.

I'm going to rebuilding two engines next month. One 1275 for my 66
Midget and I know it's supposed to have a 1098 but when these people
call me a "bastard" I want them to be able to add "and so's his car".
The other is the 66 B's 1800 four banger

I have not done an engine rebuild in 20 years and need some refreshing
of memory, not to mention I feel this is good discussion topic. I have
pulled and swapped a few in the last year or so but no rebuilds. My
question is exactly what do I bring to the machine shop and exactly
what should I look for them to do for me and do me out of $$$. Are
piston and bearing sizes purchased upon shop reccomendation after the
material as been removed in the boring, grinding and resurfacing? Aside
from the head crank and connecting rods what other parts should be
Magnafluxed (one of my favorite words)? Where do they stop and I begin?

I also hope this stops the rediculous comparison of me to, one of the
most knownledgable MG professionals, Mr John Twist. I'm just a guy with
a love for these cars and the people who feel as I do. I'm very
faltered by the comparison but at the same time I do not wish to have
John thinking I'm putting myself on his level in any way, shape or
form.

John Twist also offers a seminar each winter on several topics
including O/D transmission rebuilding and Engine rebuilding. You can
call 616-682-0800 fax 616-682-0801 or email VRHS43A@prodigy.com for
info on this

I'm hoping that after I complete these two projects I can use the newly
acquired knownledge of my experiences in helping as many of you as
possible.

There is a Tech Session coming up in Feb on the fifteen at:
Modern Machine and Parts
228 North Henry Street
Alexandria, VA
9 AM

I hope to have most of my questioned answered there, but am sure that
I'm not the only one who wonders these things.