Re: GT Window Glass, Parting Out, and MS Junkyards

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>, IMFletch@aol.com
Subject: Re: GT Window Glass, Parting Out, and MS Junkyards
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 00:04:40 -0500
IMFletch@aol.com wrote:

> Michael,
>    I have to admit, I got pretty lucky with these two. Mike and I paid $600
> (550 for the cars, 50 to rent a UHAUL trailer to haul the cars home) for both
> B's. The GT was supposedly in running condition, the roadster looked like it
> had had a fire in the passenger's compartment.
>   For the 550 we paid, we were looking at claiming a dashboard,
> switches/guages, 8 wire wheels, 1800CC engine head, aluminum bonnet, pair of
> side-float SU's, and a godd pair of rubber bumpers. The overdrive
> transmission was an unknown surprise a will work nicely in Mike's B (he got
> it because he found the cars first).
>    I don't know how to convince a junk yard dealer other than to argue with
> him. I'm sure he probably gets the occasional browser looking for that _____
> for their MG but the prices most junkyards ask are rediculous.  Ask yourself,
> how much is this car worth to you. Don't pay a dime more. Remember you have
> to dispose of the hulk when you get all the parts off you need (we have a
> friendly local recycler). Try to find others in your local car club that will
> be partners with you. This make everything easier, including dismantling the
> car. It also offers you the opportunity to share knowledge on the assembly of
> the MG and makes the work go quicker. Mike is good with body parts, I'm good
> with mechanical parts (and a torch!).
> Best of Luck,
> Safety Fast,
> Scott

Thanks, I've found a guy near me that bought half a yard that was full,
and I mean full of cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's.  I saw a red '69
MGB from the air (flying with my brother) and approached the guy on it.
 He didn't even know it was in his yard!  I had to show him where it was
located, and in the process saw 4 more late 60's to 70's.  He must have
figured me for either an idiot ( I must've looked stupid that day) or
someone who can afford a $57k MGB, because he quoted $1500 for the
carcass.  I laughed and walked away.  Maybe he saw me coming.  I did go
back after a wheel or two ($10 each) and the car is still there
untouched.  Too bad.

Cheers,

Michael