Car won't start

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car won't start
From: JP Labuschagne <Jpl@dbsa.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:27:42 +0200
Well after a year it finally happened, this morning on the way to work
(why doesn't this happen on weekends?) I pulled the starter in my 57 MGA
and nothing. The fuel pump clicked and the petrol gauge registered but
nothing further happened.
I quickly checked the starter motor connection that seemed fine, I
checked the fuses, I also put the fuse into the middle of the two
connections but nothing. Now I was running out of time.
When I get home I will check the battery connections and 'water' levels
and I will try to borrow a jumper cable (I leant mine to someone) and
see if I can connect the battery directly to the starter motor (I assume
the negative terminal to the bit that sticks out from the starter motor
and is connected to the pull starter switch?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
'57 MGA 1500
Safety Fast