Re: Car won't start

To: JP Labuschagne <Jpl@dbsa.org>
Subject: Re: Car won't start
From: John Saxon <jsaxon@acay.com.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 18:05:33 +1100
At 08:27 AM 7/01/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Well after a year it finally happened, this morning on the way to work
>(why doesn't this happen on weekends?) I pulled the starter in my 57 MGA
>and nothing. The fuel pump clicked and the petrol gauge registered but
>nothing further happened.
>I quickly checked the starter motor connection that seemed fine, I
>checked the fuses, I also put the fuse into the middle of the two
>connections but nothing. Now I was running out of time.
>When I get home I will check the battery connections and 'water' levels
>and I will try to borrow a jumper cable (I leant mine to someone) and
>see if I can connect the battery directly to the starter motor (I assume
>the negative terminal to the bit that sticks out from the starter motor
>and is connected to the pull starter switch?
>Any other suggestions?
>Thanks
>'57 MGA 1500
>Safety Fast

It happened to me some time ago and it was the starter switch.

The switch interior has two copper washers attached to the two cables. The
pull rod has a third washer which makes the circuit.

In my case, the washers had accumulated some sort of carbon and hence no
circuit.

I replaced the switch but I should first have tried rotating the pull rod
with a cordless drill whilst pulling the rod back so that the copper washers
rubbed together.

Disconnect the battery first!

John Saxon 1958 MGA 1500.