Re: Ignition switch/lock 74B

To: jroverca@tiac.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition switch/lock 74B
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:35:39 -0500
In a message dated 97-01-06 20:56:10 EST, jroverca@tiac.net (Ross Overcash)
writes:

<< Today at lunch I couldn't start my B.  No idiot light no juice nothing.  I
 had driven it to work some 4 hours earlier so it had run.

SNIP

 Anyone have any thoughts.  If the switch is shot any suggestions on a
 replacement.  The current replacement in VB is quite expensive, will do some
 more trouble shooting tomorrow.

Ross,

Check the specific gravity of all the cells in the battery to make sure you
can assume that the problem is not battery related. If they're all up, then
start looking else where.

I just went through the same thing on my B. Perhaps the following will help
you if your switch is the problem:

Thank goodness I happened to have the steering column out of a late Midget
WITH ITS IGNITION KEY. I adapted the ignition switch to work on my B. It had
two less wires (seat belt warning buzzer stuff). Other wise, I would was
looking at the same price you are. I think a new one will also have two less
wires too (if you have a B with the seat belt buzzer).

Oh, by the way, your really gonna love drilling out those shear off bolts on
the ignition lock. It took me over an hour. I has to use my trusty Dremel
tool. Any advice from others who have done this? It was a real pain. I had
wished I had a 90 degree drill motor and a short bit. My pistol drill got in
the way of the dash on one side. I also had to re-tap the threads to standard
as I didn't want to wait for those shear bolts (I think Moss has them).

The only other downside was the "new" ignition switch had a later "reverse"
key blank and now I can't use the nice MG logo brass key that I really liked.
Does anyone have a source for the proper lock switch for Ross and me?

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget