Re: MGB spigot bushing size question

To: merryweather@venus.connectware.com
Subject: Re: MGB spigot bushing size question
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 13:35:33 -0500 (EST)

> A rather nebulous response, but it is the best I can do.
>
> The 1 and 1-1/2 are theoretically interchangeable, BUT...
>
> The 1" was used consistently until the start of the all synchro =
> transmission.  At that time, and for about a year, it was decided that =
> the 1-1/2 provided more support, and that with the new transmission, =
> that support was needed.  The transition was then made to the 1-1/2.  It =
> was not done at the introduction of the new tranny, but in the 1969 =
> timeframe.
>
> The various 'experts' I have spoken with say  basically the same thing.  =
> Replace it with what came out.  Obviously that won't work here, so the =
> next answer is 'more is better', put in the 1-1/2.  I know one shop that =
> refuses to put in the longer one, saying it doesn't make a difference, =
> but if that was the case, why did they make it?
>
> I would go with the longer one.  (FWIW, Moss sells 3 of the long ones to =
> each 1 of the sort ones).
>
> In this case, I agree that more is better.

  Thanks much for the help George (and to everybody else who mailed me
privately) Only question I have now is that the VB catalog pretty much
agrees with the above info except they've got it the other way round (the
1-1/2" used on the non-syncro box, and the 1" on the all-syncro).  But
you're not the only one who has suggested it's the other way.  Perhaps VB
just got it wrong?

  Hopefully I'll soon have this engine all back together, though its tough
to work on in the winter cold, and with the Tr*umphs fighting for my
attention.  Another question you, or any of the other bright MGers here,
might be able to answer for me.  I noticed, by accident of course, that
fingernails can put very shallow, but discoloring, scratches in the new
conrod bearing shells.  Time to get another set of bearing shells and be
more careful, or not significant enough to worry about?

----
Jeremy DuBois                              jer@thlogic.com
Manager, Info Systems                      http://www.thlogic.com/~jer/
Thermalogic Corporation                    '60 TR3A, '74 MGB, '76 Spit