Re: MG magazine, long

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>, JKearman@aol.com
Subject: Re: MG magazine, long
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 21:07:35 -0500

>> >  In any event we are different here.I would hope every one on this
list was
>> >  a member of a club and Register for their car model . I can preach
,but we
>> >  are for some reason lazy and  or cheap.
>> >

>> I think American hobbyists in general tend to have different attitudes than
>> their British brethren. We tend to look at a club or publication with a
>> "what's in it for me?" view, rather than as part of a lifestyle that
includes
>> driving/conserving an MG.
>
>Speaking for myself, a big problem is geography.  I belong to AH Club of
>America.  Heck will freeze over before they have any events close enough
>for me to participate.  I have to wonder if my $40/year is a good use of
>money, when all I get out of it is a thin, albeit slick, magazine that
>describes all the events far, far away.
>
>   Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Ray, because of Geography, the National clubs tend to centralize their
conventions. I don't know about the AH magazine, but The Sacred Octagon,
and MG Driver, always have articles about history of the cars, mechanical
and repair discussions etc. If one receives these magazines, one must learn
something new or interesting.

I don't know about the finances of other clubs, but 99 percent of the dues
for the NEMGTR are spent on the Sacred Octagon. That is done for the very
reason that members who don't attend national events, or are too far away,
do not have to feel that they are subsidizing the events through their
dues. It's a good policy, and a fair one. The magazine is almost always
filled with interesting or historical articles, and as such is worth
reading even if one doesn't attend the national gatherings.

Mike