Re: more embrittlement

To: deboer@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: more embrittlement
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 06:06:31 -0500 (EST)

<< Almost all new chrome wire wheels now use stainless
 steel spokes and it's not only for ease of cleaning, but for strength as
 well.  >>
  Jarl, your comments reminded me of the time in my mis-spent youth when I
was part of a Moto-Cross team, riding 100cc and 250cc machines.  The 100's,
being a lower powered bike, was much more sensitive to weight loss than the
others. The factory installed the smallest/lightest spokes they could get
away with to save the weight, then chromed them to enhance the looks. (they
said it looked better in the winners photos - I don't know having seen VERY
few).
  We got into the habit of carrying TWO spare front and rear wheels for all
the 100's plus a handfull of spare spokes, cause we would almost without fail
break 2-10 spokes in each event, sometimes in each heat! Finally one of the
mechanics sources a supplier who could supply the same size spoke, same gauge
in stainless. We re-laced all the wheels with stainless. I only managed to
break 2 spokes the rest of the season. The other rider I don't believe broke
a one. The spare wheels got re-laced real quick and used to vary the tyre
compound if need be.
  We of course reported back to the factory, and within 6 months, the new
versions came equipped with stainless spokes.
  Obligitory English vehicle content - The 250's were AJS's, which is an old
and respected English M/C builder, The later versions we rode were built by
Norton Villiers after their take 0ver of the AJS name.

Rick Morrison