Re: non-working speedo

To: swindler@mindspring.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: non-working speedo
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 05:59:42 -0500 (EST)

<< The cable has been
 replaced as has the 90' angle drive at the tranny.Both seem to be operating
 correctly.The speedo has been bench tested and also seems to be working
 correctly.I am at a loss on what else to check. >>

Matthew,

I will assume you have a B. There are two gears that are in the transmission.
One of the gears comes out (along with lots of oil if you don't jack up the
rear of the car) by removing one bolt and easing out the piece behind it. Be
careful of the O ring seal. Checkthe gear that is attached to the piece. the
other gear is on the tailshaft and will require pulling the transmission,
which also requires pulling the engine.

May God be with you when it comes to discovering which gear is bad.

One other easy possibility is that your inner cable is not engaging the
speedometer correctly. This happened to me when I first got my B about 10
years ago. I didn't have the screw on collar at the speedometer on quit
enough. Pray for easy.

If you spin the cable at the 90 degree gear box (do it with a variable speed,
reversable drill), does the speedometer register? If so the trouble's
definately in the transmission (you said the 90 degree gear box is OK).

R. Johnson - Dallas