Re: non-working speedo

To: Matthew Swindler <swindler@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: non-working speedo
From: Bert Palte <vortex@worldaccess.nl>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 17:03:29 GMT
At 20:01 10-01-1997 -0500, you wrote:
>I currently am in need of some solutions to the inability of my speedo to
>work or regester any indication of the speed of my MG.The cable has been
>replaced as has the 90' angle drive at the tranny.Both seem to be operating
>correctly.The speedo has been bench tested and also seems to be working
>correctly.I am at a loss on what else to check.Any and all suggestions would
>be of upmost help.

Matthew,

You seem to have the problem that I once had.
It was on one of my cars, but I don't really recall whether it was the 1970 MGB
or the 1964 LandRover.
Cable OK, 90 degree drive OK and still no working speedo.

What was wrong, was that the square size of the cable end was NOT OK.
On the cable, it was just 2.1 mm, should have been 2.4 mm, however,
so, when the cable end square is too small, it is NOT driven bu the square
receptacle in the gear, i.e. the receptacle just turns around it, instead of
driving the cable (and the speedo).

It was a 'rogue' part, (I didn't know that word until then....) as my
British supplier said, and I got a new cable under warranty.

Hope this is of any help to you.

Bert.
palte@rt.el.utwente.nl

Bert Palte                                       "Elysium" Alumnivereniging
Roggeveld 25                                Universiteit Twente
3764 ZB Soest                              Faculteit Elektrotechniek
tel.  035 602 3949 (thuis)             EL/TN 8238
tel.  035 601 3816 (werk)             Postbus 217
                                                        7500 AE Enschede
<palte@rt.el.utwente.nl>