Balancing an MGA Engine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Balancing an MGA Engine
From: RatiganJ@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 20:13:51 -0500 (EST)
     I am in the process of rebuilding an MGA 1500 engine and have been
guided by the excellent responses to my questions obtained through this List.
 I have the engine disassembled and ready to go to the machine shop.  I know
that I will have to have one crank journal welded, the crank ground, may have
to bore and put in new pistons, etc.

     Now to my question.  Most of the Mailing List responses having to do
with engine rebuilds suggest that the engine be "balanced".  Clearly, this is
a process that results in an engine with minimal vibration.  How is it done
by the machine shop?  Do they actually assemble the engine (with the pan off)
and rotate the crank at relatively high speed?  Do they balance individual
components?  Can anyone tell me a little bit about the proceedure?

     Thanks for the help.

     Joe Ratigan
     ' 58 MGA