Re: Balancing an MGA Engine

To: homestay@infolearn.com.au
Subject: Re: Balancing an MGA Engine
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 21:22:56 EST
On Mon, 13 Jan 1997 07:56:26 +1100 (EST) homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's
Sydney Homestay) writes:

>To what extent does prop shaft balancing have on the total equation do
you reckon?

In 4th gear the prop shaft runs at engine speed, makes about 4400 rpm at
75 mph in my MGA.  The prop shaft has considerable mass, so can set up
quite a disturbance if it gets out of balance.  Anyone who has ever
encountered a worn universal joint can attest to that.  An out of balance
prop shaft is not only irritating, but can eventually self destruct as
well as possibly damage the support bearings and seals at either end.  I
do value my gearbox and differential, so I would definitely get the
problem fixed immediately.

Barney