MG speedo

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG speedo
From: Lynn Alan Eubank <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 10:06:24 -0600 (CST)
I had a sad story on the MG's speedo a couple of years ago. After
replacing the angle drive (2X @ around $100 a pop) and the cable (2X), I
was sure that the problem was in the tranny. I'd fix everything up, having
tested all parts, including the speedo, in advance, then back out the
driveway and find that the damned thing was dead. It was frustrating (and
expensive). A crucial part of this story is how I tested the speedo: I
used a low-speed electric drill with a plastic bolt shaved to fit the
drive in the back. And at one point, in desparation, I retested the speedo
-- except that I had the drill in reverse accidently. To my surprise, it
turned out five rotations and then caught. It was stuck solid, no
more backwards rotation.

After disassembling the speedo, I discovered that there is a little spring
that holds against -- well, I don't recall anymore, but at any rate, that
spring had jumped off. The result is that the speedo catches when you back
up. And when it did catch, it would cause both the cable and the angle
drive to be creamed. So all that cold hard cash was down the tubes, all
because of a tiny little spring in the speedo itself.

At present, by the way, I've got it running on a GT cable (longer) wihtout
the angle drive. And the reason is that I'll be damned if I'm going to
shell out another hundred bucks without at least trying to fix one of my
three damanged units (original plus two replacements). And, of course, so
far I haven't found the time to try ...
(-:
Lynn