Cylynder bore damage (and repair ??)

To: MG Forum <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cylynder bore damage (and repair ??)
From: Cliff Maddox <maddox@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 00:13:45 -0800
Hello (and help)

Does anyone have any experiences relating to repairing a damages 1800cc
block by sleeving???  I have a very recently rebuilt engine from my '65
which choked on a broken ring shortly into it's young life.  I had just
rebuilt the thing and it is currently at .030" over with damage fairly
severe but limited to just the one (#3) bore.

Question is as to whether it is possible or advisable to sleeve an
engine such as this which starts out with rather thin cylynder walls in
the first place.  If sleeving has been carried out what problems am I
likely to encounter??

The option is of course  to find another doner lump and start afresh and
that may be the best course but ?????

"65 has been comatose for over a year now and am resolving to have it
back on the road for this summer so any advice or info would be
appreciated .

Regards,

Cliff Maddox