Re: Distributor Rebuild?

To: Matt Liggett <mliggett@seven.ucs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: Distributor Rebuild?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 06:47:21 -0600
Matt Liggett wrote:

> I'm about to reassemble my 1275 which I took apart to have the head
> rebuilt.  This is a '70 Midget (is there a Spridget list by chance?).
> Anyway, before I pulled the head, the idle was always a bit erratic.
> I know this could be the carbs or the distributor.  What I want to
> know is, is there a way to tell (before I put it back together) if the
> distributor is bad?  Any preventative/cleaning maintenance I can do?
> I'd like to stem off any potential problems NOW rather than in the
> middle of the summer.

Well, as I remember, the distributor in Midgets uses a porous bronze
bushing at the dark end and the text said it should be soaked in oil. So
I found a slender jelly jar about the depth of the bottom end and soaked
it in Marvel Mystery oil for a week or so. I took it out and twirled it
every day or so and the oil was pretty dirty by the end of the week (and
I had several new garage T-shirts, too).

Never had a lick of trouble with the distributor after that. But I
hadn't had any trouble before that either.

Marvel Mystery Oil comes in a really neat can, has a great industrial
smell, and is red. Can't beat it.

New timing chain can fix erratic timing, too.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, cars...