Re: TD and Agatha Christie stories...

To: tombritt@juno.com (Thomas E. Britt), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD and Agatha Christie stories...
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 21:10:27 -0500
At 06:57 PM 1/14/97 EST, Thomas E. Britt wrote:
>Did anyone happen to see the Agatha Christie Mrs. Marple mystery tonight.
> I saw it
>tonight for the third time: the show is called "The Sleeping Mystery."
>The tape is available
>at Blockbuster.  The guy in the film drives a red '52 MG TD--whose doors
>work beautifully!
>When they get out of the car, they slam the doors, and they go "clunk"
>just like      a Rolls!!!
>Anyway, it's a beautiful car, and the louvres on the radiator are painted
>the proper color, etc.
>
>I love this film, and the MG makes it worth while.  I am somewhat
>open-mouthed at the perfection
>of the car in the film--especially when I have to worry so about door
>timbers and various kinds
>of worn-out things.  The car is perfect.
>
>One thing: can anyone tell me about the luggage rack?  (If you see the
>film)...  Mine is down
> when not loaded, and that one seems to be "up" whether loaded or not.
>
>Tom Britt

Tom, I remember the episode, but it was sometime ago. T type doors do close
correctly when everything is right. The NEMGT Register runs an event at all
GOFs called Safety Fast. The car goes through a safety check on a portable
lift. Certain items result in automatic failure. The inability of the doors
to close solid to the "second click" is one such item.

If the door is set right with solid hinges, it will close properly.
Setting it right is an art. My TC closes like a new car, my TF to the
second click, but needs more force.

I can't remember the luggage rack, but I have a period after market rack on
my TF. This rack is really rare. ( I have seen it only once on another
car.) It is chrome over brass, with MG cast into the support brackets. It
folds up or down be friction, thus you don't have to screw or unscrew
anything. It is really strong,(you can sit on it) and it rides low, so as
to allow rear vision when carrying luggage. I often wished that someone
would reproduce this rack as it is so far superior to anything that I have
seen on the market.

Mike