Re: TD and Agatha Christie stories...

To: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: TD and Agatha Christie stories...
From: Geoff Love <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:18:40 -0500
Michael P. Ohleger wrote:

> Thomas E. Britt wrote:
> >
> > Did anyone happen to see the Agatha Christie Mrs. Marple mystery tonight.
> >  I saw it
> > tonight for the third time: the show is called "The Sleeping Mystery."
> > The tape is available
> > at Blockbuster.  The guy in the film drives a red '52 MG TD--whose doors
> > work beautifully!
> > When they get out of the car, they slam the doors, and they go "clunk"
> > just like       a Rolls!!!
> > Anyway, it's a beautiful car, and the louvres on the radiator are painted
> > the proper color, etc.
> >
> > I love this film, and the MG makes it worth while.  I am somewhat
> > open-mouthed at the perfection
> > of the car in the film--especially when I have to worry so about door
> > timbers and various kinds
> > of worn-out things.  The car is perfect.
> >
> > One thing: can anyone tell me about the luggage rack?  (If you see the
> > film)...  Mine is down
> >  when not loaded, and that one seems to be "up" whether loaded or not.
> >
> > Tom Britt
>
> Duped by special effects I daresay....No TD door ever sounded like that!
>
> I have seen that luggage rack - in the UK.  Some fellow had a bunch of
> them at an autojumble.  I would have bought one but I had no way to get
> it home and....oh yeahhh, I still don't own a TD.
>
> Michael Ohleger
>
> '67 MGB
> '70 MGB

Michael:  I also have seen that rack on a UK TD and would like to try to
get one next time I'm back in the 'old country'.  Do you happen to
remember the name of the bloke who was flogging them?  I have on several
occassions carried odd pieces back on the plane and so has my wife, who,
last time, carried, on her lap, an antique carriage clock which was
almost impossible to stop chiming during the flight.  Last time I left
London Airport, I had three Shorrock superchargers and four Lucas
magnetos in two suitcases.  The Pakistanis who run the airport, and who
are most excitable people in a crisis, reacted in a totally predictable
way.  They went potty and blew all the bells and whistles when they saw
the contents on the X-Ray screen.  People looked. Very embarrassing. I
had to open the suitcases for an inspector, and when he saw what was in
them, he got all excited too.  It turned out he was an MGB enthusiast
and made me an offer for one of the blowers.  Unfortunately, they were
all spoken for, so I wasn't able to conclude a sale at that moment.
While waiting for my turn to be examined, however, I noticed he was
having to completely empty a suitcase belonging to a woman next to me in
the queue.  As he seemed friendly enough, when my turn came, I asked him
if he ever found strange or embarrassing articles in people's cases.
"Oh yes", he responded, "Especially the ladies cases.  They always put
it at the bottom under all their clothes, you know. But you always know
what it is by the shape of the box.  I had one the other day which was
this big".  And here he spread his hands apart to indicate an object
about the size of an MGB catalitic converter.
"I had to ask her to remove the batteries from it.  She was very
embarrased, and said the first thing which came into her head. "Oh,
that's not mine!  It's my husband's!!!"".

My advice would be always to carry on whatever you want to get for any
MG. I do, even if my arms were nearly torn from their sockets by the
weight.

BTW, it's Miss Marples, not Mrs.  She would have been embarrassed too!

Geoff Love, The English Connection.