Re: Leather refurbishment.

To: John Saxon <jsaxon@acay.com.au>
Subject: Re: Leather refurbishment.
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 07:51:05 -0500
At 02:36 PM 1/15/97 +1100, you wrote:
>Alberto's comments prompt me to ask:
>
>What is recommended to repair/refinish/enhance small marks in leather seats
>and trim?
>
>MY 58 A has had the same tan full leather interior since I bought it 13
>years ago AND still has that wonderful smell when I open the toneau.
>(Another plus for leather).
>
>The seats are otherswise A1 and I don't want to go to the expense of a
>re-trim. What is recommended these days to care for and restore Connolly
>leather (At least I - think- they are Connolly!)
>
>John Saxon, 1958 MGA 1500.

John,
 I recently was advised of a company in England that sells leather
restoration kits:

 Woolies (H C Woolstenholmes) Limited, off Blemheim Way, North Fields
Industrial Estate, Market Deeping, Near Peterborough, Lincolnshire, PR68LD,
England
 Phone: +44 (01777) 341847  Fax: +44 (01778) 341847

I ordered their 'Jensen' kit. It consisted of leather cleaner (looks like
glass cleaner), hide paste (smells like shoe polish), and dye. I sent an
inch by inch sample of leather from under one of the seats where the sun and
wear didn't get to it to match the original color of the leather. I haven't
had a chance to put the kit to use, but will report on results when I do. As
for scratches, small one can be scalpeled clean, but not done away with. A
redye kit is for those of us who like a little patina to our leather --
since the new stuff is difficult to distinguish from vinyl (or vice/versa).
The kit wasn't cheap, about $70US, but I'm told there is enough dye ect. for
touch ups many years into the future. I've also been told that light colors,
such as white, Ecru etc. don't respond very well. Mine is tan, which is as
light as you should go according to some. I'll report when I know.
Michael, New Bern, NC