Re: Miscellaneous questions...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous questions...
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 15 Jan 1997 10:27:16 -0600
In <01BC025E.D6F51AA0@Dialin70.cstone.net>, Mike Powell wrote:

>I'm in the process of replacing the clutch on my '74 B roadster, and
>have a few questions I thought I'd pose to the list.
>1)  What color is the engine supposed to be?  My block is currently
>black, the head is  orange, and the valve cover is black (it's pretty
>hideous).

The engine should be all black.

>2)  Can the cast iron exhaust manifold be repaired by welding?  The
>DPO replaced 4 of the  6 manifold flange studs with bolts, and the
>DCO (Dipsh** Current Owner) couldn't get one off and went at it with
>an air chisel.  I managed to  accidentally break off a good size
>chunk of the flange (but at least it freed the exhaust pipes!).  Can
>this be welded or should I be shopping  for a new manifold--maybe
>this would be a good excuse to buy a header?

Welding cast iron is possible but very tricky.  There is an outfit in
Idaho (!) that specializes in this process and guarantees their
work--don't have the reference offhand, but can get it if you like.
My guess is that it would cost about $100.  That being the case, you
probably are better off with another manifold.  I'm one of those guys
who believes that the stock manifold is adequate for most uses; I
didn't get much improvement out of a header.

                        A. B. Bonds