Metrinch tools

To: <twannen@bgsm.edu>
Subject: Metrinch tools
From: "David Littlefield" <dmeadow@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 19:46:37 -0600
>On Wed, 15 Jan 1997 08:06:18 -0500 (EST) "Thomas Wannenburg"
>twannen@bgsm.edu> writes:

> .....  Does anyone have any experience with these tools?  Do they
>really fit both standard and metric?  What is the quality like?

>>They do work with slightly varying sizes of hex fittings, but they will
>>fit a little sloppy and therefore have a considerable amount of backlash.
>>If you're trying to use them with a rachet in a confined space you're
>>out of luck.

I bought a set a few months ago, largely attracted by the idea that one set
of tools would fit my M*xima (metric), my MGA (largely SAE), and my TD
(BSF).  There was a recent thread on Whitworth tools, and I meant to
suggest to the poster that Metrinch may be an alternative.

I found the quality of the tools themselves to be very good, better in some
cases than Craftsman, not quite as good as Snap-On.  The combination
wrenches are a bit better in quality than my Craftsman (they are thinner,
about as long, and partially polished), and the sockets are noticably
better.  The ratchet that comes with the set is also of excellent quality,
which is indicated by its length, the fact that it is fully
polished, and the feel of the pawl in the ratchet.  The accessories are of
similar quality.  The ads make a big deal out of the fact that they are
made from Chrome Vanadium.  I did a lot of research in the library on
evaluating tool quality and did not find much information.  I was able to
determine, however, that Chrome Vanadium is a common tool quality steel.

Barney is right, by their nature they fit sloppily.  It took me a while to
get used to
that, when my whole life I had learned to fit a wrench tight to a nut or
risk rounding it.  I haven't had an inordinate amount of trouble in tight
spots, yet.  I have to be careful to fit the right wrench, sometimes, since
the "sloppiness" can fool you as to whether you actually have the correct
size.  I find that they largely work as advertised on all sizes of nuts,
although I have not tried it on rounded nuts, which the ads insist they
will turn.  I imagine that the nuts would have to be rounded only on the
very peaks of
the corners.  Occasionally I will find a nut that seems to be just between
two of the wrenches.  However, this may be due to rusting reducing the
size, because I won't be able to get any of my other wrenches to fit very
well on it, either.

All in all I think they are an great alternative to buying three sets of
wrenches.  I would much rather spend money on parts than all of those
tools.  When I drive my MGA, I just throw my Metrinch kit in the back and I
know I will have something to fit everything.  For example, the during the
last outing I attended,  I ended up having to replace the fuel pump.  One
of my knowledgable friends standing nearby insisted I would not have a
wrench to fit the flare nut on the fuel line (which are BSF, I think).  I
just pulled out my Metrinch kit and proved him wrong!  When I get the TD
finished, I'll
just throw the same kit into it when traveling.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX