Starter motor and backfiring

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Starter motor and backfiring
From: JP Labuschagne <Jpl@dbsa.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:23:25 +0200
Two questions regarding a 57 MGA, The other day I heard a new noise, so
when I pulled over I opened the bonnet with the engine running, I
tracked it down to the starter motor still engaged while the engine was
running. This is a new occurrence I turned the engine off and the
starter motor continued to run. I quickly saw that the pull starter was
sticking and not releasing. I'll fix that but are there any guesses as
to possible damage to the starter I admit I drove for a number of
kilometers with this noise, I thought it was the truck in front wasn't
grinding while the engine was running I think it was now just running at
the engine speed if that is possible.

Second question when slowing down, by using the brakes and shifting
down, the engine sometimes crackles, it doesn't backfire per se, but
crackles if you know what I mean. It doesn't always do this but what
could be the cause of this noise, or is it a problem?

Cheers
'57 MGA 1500
Safety Fast