Re: Shipping

To: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Subject: Re: Shipping
From: Geoff Love <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 15:28:07 -0500
Leckstein wrote:

> At 11:49 AM 1/21/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> >Anyone any ideas about the best way to buy a car that is in the USA and
> >ship it to the UK. How much is the shipping? Do I have to pay tax?
> >
> >Geraint Owen
> >
> Geraint, I know of a shipper in Port Elizabeth New Jersey. The cars are
> shipped roll on roll off. This is the best way. I used this shipper in the
> 1990 COB, and he shipped 89 cars both ways without a scratch. The cost
> should be to Liverpool about $500 to $600.
>
> To get the car to New Jersey, you will need a car carrier, and they are
> listed in Hemmings. They average 50 cents a mile, but a better deal can
> sometimes be made when they have a little extra room on a trip to the East
> coast.
>
> I don't know about British taxes, but I think you must pay the Vat after a
> certain year. If it is a prevat year, the duty is less, and nothing if the
> car was originally sold in Britain and later imported to the U.S.
> Something that can happen with T types.
>
> Mike Leckstein

Mike:  I am not so sure about your last comment re the VAT.  Last year I
sold a 1924 Bentley, originally owned by the Earl of Kinnoul and sold
and registered in the UK, to a man in France, after extensively
advertising it in the UK.  The UK potential buyers were put of by the
fact they would have been charged the sales tax of 17 1/2%  (US citizens
please note, I say again 17 1/2 per cent!!!)( And I hear them here in
Pa. loudly moaning about a lousy 6%!!!) PLUS and additonal duty the
Customs and Excise people deemed fit to charge. All this despite the
fact that the car was originally from England, and all taxes had been
paid at the time of it's first sale.  As I say, it went to a home in the
Dordoygne.(Sp?).

Geoff Love, The English Connection.