Re: Shipping

To: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Shipping
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:35:31 -0500
At 11:49 AM 1/21/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Anyone any ideas about the best way to buy a car that is in the USA and
>ship it to the UK. How much is the shipping? Do I have to pay tax?
>
>Geraint Owen

Geraint, I know of a shipper in Port Elizabeth New Jersey. The cars are
shipped roll on roll off. This is the best way. I used this shipper in the
1990 COB, and he shipped 89 cars both ways without a scratch. The cost
should be to Liverpool about $500 to $600.

To get the car to New Jersey, you will need a car carrier, and they are
listed in Hemmings. They average 50 cents a mile, but a better deal can
sometimes be made when they have a little extra room on a trip to the East
coast.

I don't know about British taxes, but I think you must pay the Vat after a
certain year. If it is a prevat year, the duty is less, and nothing if the
car was originally sold in Britain and later imported to the U.S.
Something that can happen with T types.

Mike Leckstein