Re: California...

To: ninab@scoresheet.com
Subject: Re: California...
From: dmeadow@juno.com (David C Littlefield)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 21:59:05 EST
You're making me cry!  I just returned from Laguna Niguel in Orange
County where I was attending a conference.  It reminded me of how Houston
is completely devoid of natural beauty (unless you want to count some
scraggily pine trees and a few upscale topless bars).  I took a drive
down the Pacific Coast Highway, unfortunately not in my MG, but  in a
rented Buick Skylark (what a piece of crap! less than 9k miles and more
squeaks and rattles than a Conestoga wagon, I remembered why I buy
Japanese), but a beautiful trip nonetheless.  The beaches and hills were
gorgeous, the roads actually had a few interesting curves in them, and
the sea air was as sweet as Sonoma wine.   No state income tax,
affordable housing, mostly sane, down to earth people, tolerable traffic,
no earthquakes, and a relatively unoppressive government only go so far
<sniff>.

LBC content:  I also drove into L.A. (which reminded me a lot of Houston,
only more traffic) to see the Petersen Auto Museum.  It was OK.  The
usual Duesenbergs, some CA hot rods.    Only two LBC's, a rather worn
MGTC, and a beautiful pre-war Jensen.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX