Re: California...

To: John McEwen <mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: California...
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 13:25:00 +0000
Bingo!

Having lived in California, Arizona, and the Trite State of Grexas, I'll
admit that they have lovely weather and some wonderful highways. And I
sincerely hope that all people envious of such environs should move
there.

I've crawled all over the Santa Monica moutains on a fast street bike --
but I had to get up before dawn on Sunday to avoid the monotonous
traffic.

I've raced through the valleys, river valleys, and mountainous forests
of Arizona -- but I was often threatened by blue hairs, motor homes, and
indigenous drunks.

I've enjoyed the temperate weather of Texas. And usually it was either
in terror on their deadly freeways or loosening my fillings on the frost
heaves of the arrow-straight Farm-to-Market roads.

I've enjoyed the scenic, twisty, and mountainous two-lanes of the
Colorado rockies. The little LBC was thrashed to pieces trying to build
power on that thin air. And then had to hyper-heat the binders to avoid
the sport-ute around the blind corner stopping for photo-moments.

I'll stay where I am, endure the winter, and then enjoy the 1000s of
miles of empty, twisty backroads. All the locals just treat them like
onramps to interstate off to someplace else. I consider them a
destination in themselves.

Happy motoring to all the beautiful people
going to all the beautiful places,

Bob Allen in the middle of nowhere watching the freezing rain come down.