Re: Simple painting question

To: Don Mathis <donmathis@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Simple painting question
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:38:23 -0500
>I was painting the square metal frame on the right side of the car near the
>fire wall that blanks out the hole for the brake master cylinder recently.
>I took it off and used a drill and wire brush to get as much paint off as
>possible.  Then I took a can of spray Krylon black and started to spray it.
>Some areas seemed to have something on it such that the paint would not bond
>leaving a painted coat with small circles on it.  The 3rd coating still did
>not cover those areas.
>
>Was this a problem of having oil on the metal?  If so, what should I clean
>it with before spraying with the Krylon?  Thanks-
>
>Don Mathis,Ph.D.
>donmathis@lucent.com
>'61 MGA
>'37 Bentley

Hi Don:

What you sawis called fish eyes or fish eyeing.  It is caused by oil,
silicone, or other impurities on the surface of the metal you are trying to
paint.  You must get this off and sometimes it is not easy.

Wipe away the mess you have with a good reducer or lacquer thinner.  Do
this wearing a mask!  Then clean the are thoroughly using more lacquer
thinner or reducer.  Wipe it down with clean rags then do it again using
more clean rags.  Rub the surface down with brown Scotchbrite soaked in
thinner.  Clean again and then if you want really good results, use a
primer surfacer of automotive quality.  Mask anything you don't want primer
on.  Rub down the primer with more Scotchbrite but don't use thinner on it.
Wipe the area with a tack cloth then spray. Plan to do two coats so don't
drown it the first time.  You should allow the first coat to nearly dry
before you spray the second.

You can buy Scotchbrite, thinner, primer etc. at any good automotive parts
store or body shop supply.

Good luck,

John McEwen