Won't start? <--WAS/NOW: license plates

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Won't start? <--WAS/NOW: license plates
From: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 20:08:21 -0500
At 09:51 PM 1/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>MICHAEL J ROBSON wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 19 Jan 1997 16:46:50 -0500 Rick Hoefle
>> <NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>>
>> >Just for the record, I went through the CT process in August to get th
>> >registered.  There is no longer any DMV reason to get a special plate
>> >for your classic car, but they do offer it to you (no extra charge).
>> >
>> >I foolishly thought they would be neat, so I took a set.  They do have
>> >
>> >only numbers (five digits), as you said, BUT they are called Early
>> >American plates and  they have the letters E A on them and some
>> >Model-T
>> >like thing...a rather unpleasant surprise when I opened the envelope.
>> >
>> >The C doesn't seem to care much, but it still disturbs me.
>> >
>> >Anyway, if you register a LBC in CT just get the ordinary plates.
>> >--
>> >

>> >Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS
>> >            1969 MGC            - HERS

Does Connecticut have "year of manufacture" plates?  Washington State
does, and it's a neat program.  The car has to be 25 years old or more,
you have to find a set (front & rear) of the plates with tags from
the year of manufacture.  The stick-on tags from later years are now
remanufactured, and there's a thriving trade at most of the larger swap
meets in old plates -- the booths also sell the remanufactured tags.
Then you pay a fee of I think $50, one time only, and no yearly
renewals or other registration fees.  It's a great deal, and the
plates really look cool.

The only down side is that if you ever get pulled over, you have to be
sure the cop knows to tell the dispatcher who's pulling up your
license plate on the computer to use the correct code for year of
manufacture plates, otherwise it'll either not show up at all, or come
up as something else.  A buddy of mine had this problem when he got
pulled over in his '47 Cadillac -- his '47 plate coincidentally had
the same letters and numbers as a Seattle city bus.  Although a '47
Fleetwood does sort of resemble one.  But I digress.  He had about
an hour on the side of the road until the cop figured it out and
re-ran the plate.

Mark Moburg
markmoburg@mindspring.com

57 Jaguar MK VIII (modern vanity plate "MK VIII", and I've
                        P.O.'d more Lincoln owners ;^)  )
58 MGA (58 year of manufacture plates from my great-granddad's barn)
70 M*rc*d*s-B*nz 300 SEL 6.3 litre (just turned 25, and will
                                    get them as soon as registration
                                     expires)
85 XJ6 Vanden Plas (New York plates, since that's where I'm exiled to)