Re: discoloration of rubber bumpers

To: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>, Bob Dallas <bobd@npsinc.com>,
Subject: Re: discoloration of rubber bumpers
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 05:54:33 -0500 (EST)
At 07:22 PM 1/23/97 GMT, Paul Hunt wrote:

>> There was a thread sometime past about restoring the bumpers that had been
>> discolored by the sun's rays. Would someone please send me the instructions
>> for this process?  Thanks in advance.
>> Bob Dallas - Houston, Texas
>> '69 MG-GT, '51 TD
>
>Haven't got the text but I've got the bumpers, tried it and it worked well.
>
>Spray on Armorall and spread it out with a non-absorbant object so it's lying
>on the surface - I used a Mark I digit - and leave it to dry in the sun.
Do it
>again.  Do it again.  Then polish up with a clean duster.  Stays that way for
>several weeks, even when exposed to the sun.  Monthly applications of one coat
>restore it to full brilliance.  One word of warning, don't brush up against it
>in any light cloths.
>

>PaulH
>73 Roadster (HD&H)
>75 V8 (DD)

Paul,

I was just about to suggest the same thing!  I was reading the Haynes car
detailing book a couple of weeks ago while my wife was looking for nursing
books at our favorite book store, and ir recommends the eact same procedure
only they recommend using a sponge and placing the car out of direct
sunlight!  Don't know about the sun thing since you have experieince with
this and I don't (chrome bumpers and painted bumpers on the family car) but
thought I would pass it on.

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca