Re: Finish questions

To: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Finish questions
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:17:48 -0500
Hi Jeff:

As you may know from my previous postings on wheels, I am a great fan of
powercoating.  I powdercoated everything possible on my MGB engine and am
very pleased with the results.  The bugs and dirt wipe off and the finish
has remained as new after 6,000 miles.

I powdercoated the fan in yellow, the heat shield in silver; and the
firewall rt.side panel, rad support and braces, radiator, air cleaners, and
other small things in semi-gloss black.

The best part about powdercoating is that the cleaning and preparation is a
part of the process which saves many hours of grungy work.  I also
powdercoated the transmission cross-member so that it is easier to clean
for engine removal, and I did all the bumper brackets.  The cost is
surprisingly low for such an effective process.  The heat shield has shown
know discoloration or deterioration.

Today many restorerers are powdercoating things like rear axles, wheels,
bumpers, bumper brackets, oil pans, valve covers, etc.  Motorcycle
restorers are powdercoating frames, engine parts, suspension parts and all
manner of bracketry.  The powercoaters are also responsible for protecting
threaded bolt holes and bolts from the coating so you don't have to worry
about this aspect.  The coatings are almost impossible to tell from paint
so that you don't have to worry about a non-authentic appearance.

Try it.  You'll like it.

John McEwen