Factory V8 exhaust front-pipes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Factory V8 exhaust front-pipes
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 97 16:31:06 GMT
Any suggestions as to how to stop the front-pipes working
their way off the (tubular) manifolds?  Should there be a
support strap from the bell-housing, or is the next mount
the one between the two boxes?

While investigating an exhaust rattle today I noticed the
front pipes were lower than they should be.  Moved the first
clamp nut about two flats and both pipes suddenly came free.

Both halves are plain pipes and one is a sliding fit in the
other.  My clamps are the wrap-around type with one fixing
bolt.  The problem isn't that the clamp has distorted and
the two faces are bolted up tight to each other leaving the
clamp loose, there is still clearance even with the nut on
tight.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)