Re: Is it the beginning of the end of the road?

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Is it the beginning of the end of the road?
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 12:34:44 -0500
All,

I don't know what ol' David was drinking when he started this thread but it
sure was
depressing!  He has a point though, and that is that there seems to be a true
lack of
interest in these cars here in the states, in particular MGBs. Having been to
the UK,
I've seen the enthusiasm, the care and the vigor that these guys have for their
cars
and it's admirable.  We Americans are the originators of the "car culture" but
I don't
see us polishing our 50 year old Fords and Chevys the way the Brits do.

I've bitched about the price of British cars, and am still appalled (note the
"rare MGC"
in Canada that some wag want $15K US for) at the prices that people want for #4
and #5
condition cars.  I think too many people throw some fiberglass over the rust,
give it a
"Maaco", call it restored, and pricee it out of reach!  I don't believe there
is a lack
of interest, I think there's too much greed.  Enthusiasts need to stick
together.  We
all know that  you just can't get back the $6 or $7000.00 worth of spares you
put into
your "B"; but there are folks who find that it just ain't that easy.  David,
let's just
keep on keepin' on, and protect our marque.  There are plenty of under $1500
cars out
there that require some TLC.  I know, my wife tells me if I bring another "lost
dog"
home she's gonna throw me out :-)!

Cheers,

Michael Ohleger