Re: injury to the hobby

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Re: injury to the hobby
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 20:38:54 -0800
William Zehring wrote:

> Fellow fiends:

Excellent points made.

> --inappropriateness on the modern highway.  Here's one to draw flames,
> perhaps, but modern cars go fast, break efficiently, and have great
> acceleration.  None of those things can be said of lbcs before the A, the
> TR4, and the big Healey.  The old joke "You can't get there from here"
> starts to apply in a T car or a bugeye with a 9xx cc engine.  0-60 in 25
> seconds doesn't fit in.  ITS DANGEROUS, and not just for the guy in the
> TD but for all the rest of the cars that have to get around him.

This one is particularly appropriate in CA on our 75-85 mph freeways.
There is no way a pre 56 MG can be driven comfortably and safely in that
envirionment. The only exception might be in club caravanning with 8 to
10 cars. Then the traffic slows a bit to admire them. I don't think all
of the performance mods possible for an early MG will change the
situation. Finally, even the nice winding country roads are now being
straightened by Cal Trans due to increased traffic.

Probably the MGers in Tasmania will not be affected!

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA