Re: end of the road

To: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com (Thomas J Pokrefke), mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: end of the road
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:20:24 -0600 (CST)
At 01:27 PM 1/29/97 EST, Thomas J Pokrefke wrote:

[snip]

>When it came time for me to buy my own LBC, I offered a fair sum to
>Steve's dad.  He didn't want to sell it because he "wanted to fix it up
>some day".  That was 7 years ago.  Now the car sits outside w/o a tarp
>collecting rain and rust.  He is still waiting, but by the time he gets
>in gear, the car will be rusted out.
>
>What a crime.

I know how to get ahold of those cars in San Antonio! Call Code Compliance!!
If the car isn't currently inspected and tagged AND it doesn't run on its
own (ie., moves, not just starts)  the city gives about a month to fix it or
get rid of it.

I learned this from experience with my classic 68 Firebird that "I was going
to get around to restoring." Dad's neighbors got aggravated for whatever
reason and turned it in, even though it looked fine. I sold it to a guy in
Illinois who wanted a Texas car. (I could never have afforded to get her
back into showroom condition, and the engine had gotten messed up.)

But you're dead right, Thomas! People will hang onto those cars like they're
gold, but treat them like, well, rust! OR they will demand a princely sum
for the cars. Go figure! Then when they finally decide to sell them, they
wonder why people aren't interested.

Take a look at my home page. http://lonestar.texas.net/~car and look at a
car that is beyond repair, seriously. I got too many opinions from mg list
members, and one eye-witness account on her condition. The eye-witness and
his two friends wouldn't even buy her for parts. Pity! The frame is
rust-dust. And the owner won't back off $1500 for her....

Something that really pushed me into selling my Firebird was something a guy
on the f-body list sent me: If she just keeps sitting there outside she'll
eventually lose her soul. I teared up a bit over that sentiment, and then I
wrote a "for sale" message! I don't regret it.

So, verily I say unto you: Turn them in to Code Compliance. Wait 'til you
see "the notice" stuck on the windscreen then go by and make an offer. Wait
a couple of weeks and go back and check on your offer. Hey, it might work!

Carol

PS I know I mentioned "Firebird" here, but this is an LBC reply! All classic
marques need TLC, including a 1968 Firebird!