TC rear hub oil leak - #2

To: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Subject: TC rear hub oil leak - #2
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:16:17 +1100 (EST)
        Thanks Geoff for your reply to my problem.

>The problem you describe is endemic to all TCs.  Plugging it with a sink
>plug may work temporarily, but does not cure the problem.

        Agreed.

>If oil is
>seeping past the fit of the hub on the half shaft splines, it is because
>one or the other is worn.

        I think the oil is working its way past the splines where the axle is
        force fitted to the hub. I reason this because the oil is not leaking
        (yet) onto the brake linings but rather working its way into the hub.

        I have a new set of rear hubs and half shafts which I have been carrying
        as spares against the day that I break an axle in competition.

        It's actually hard to see how the half shaft splines would wear provided
        that they were a good force fit in the first place. The surface area in
        contact one with the other is pretty great and there would seem to be
        other points of less resistance - namely wheel splines.

        Mind you, when I pressed this last set of half shafts into the (new)
        hubs the splines required a bit of machining to marry them up.

>The wear will only get worse with use, to the
>point that the rear wheel may actually wobble even though it is
>tightened onto the hub.  This is potentially hazardous.

        Yes - a favourite point for checking by scruiteneers.

>There is a man,
>one Phil Marino, in California who produces a very satisfactory
>conversion for the hubs.

        Terry posted me Phil's contact number. I'll follow this up.

>I have no direct experience of this, but
>everyone to whom I have spoken tells me it is first class.  It may be
>worth your while checking him out.
>
>Sincerely,
>

>Geoff Love, The English Connection.

        Thanks Geoff for you input - much appreciated.

        Paul