Midget Cannibalism

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Midget Cannibalism
From: William Ball <bball@mailstorm.dot.gov>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 08:46:46 -0500 (EST)
Well, it started happening this week. At first, it was just a small
plastic bit of an interior door handle, and now it has bloomed into
swapping/stealing dashboard switches...

You see, my 1979 Midget is slowly starting to eat my 1974 Midget.  This
is a sad tale of two sibling LBCs; one a rust bucket held together with
Bondo and pop rivets -- the other, a pristine example of the British
Driving Experience.  My problem is that I love them both.  My question
is: "When is a parts cars not a parts car?"

The '74 is the chrome-bumpered 1275cc, repainted a number of times (i
can't determine the original paint). It has the Weber conversion, a
rebuilt engine, and generally runs well, but leaks oil.  The '79 is in
excellent shape, with the 1500cc Triumph engine, and a newly rebuilt
Zenith carb.

I've been following the thread on MG values, and generally agree that one
is not going to make any money fixing and selling these cars. I made a
mistake in buying one of these MGs (can you guess which one? if you
guessed the '74, you're right!), but my feelings are that if you can find
an LBC with a body in great shape, fixing the mechanical problems is
still a good investment, and you'll get a nice little sports car for a
*relatively* small outlay of capital.

I love driving both cars, and each provides a slightly different driving
experience. Despite previous digressions here, I think the Weber
outperforms the Zenith, despite the 1275cc vs 1500cc engine (also:  the
transmission ratios are different, aren't they? The '74 transmission seems
to have a different optimal mph/rpm shifting scheme from the '79).

But has anyone experienced that slight pang of guilt when you find
yourself contemplating or swapping parts out of a driveable, but somewhat
lesser quality LBC into a newer, higher quality LBC? I'd love to be able
to just order new switches, but come on folks, the $28 VB price for a
heater blower or light switch is a bit absurd. Any recommendations on
alternate sources? (Don't say junkyards, 'cause there aren't any LBCs in
any of the junkyards here 50 miles south of Washington, DC).

I'd like to propose an LBC used part clearing house here on the list.
For example,

I have the following Midget parts:

trunk lid
two doors w/glass, no handles
a rh rear split chrome bumper (new)
windshield frame
1275cc speedo cable (new)
convertible top frame
and other parts (some in good shape, some in terrible shape)

I need:

a whole, working heater blower switch for a Midget
a whole, working hazard warning switch for a Midget

any takers for swap parts?

billy ball
'74 Midget
'79 Midget