Running 6" Wide Minilites

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Running 6" Wide Minilites
From: David Tietz <mgcats@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 20:50:06 -0500
RE: Dave Stovall, RE: Bob Allen

I too, am running 195HR65-15 inch tires on my '74 MGB-GT. Like Bob
says, no problem up front, but things are a little tighter in the
rear.

I bolted bolt-on hubs on my wire wheel rear axle (which I determined
would improve the offset), and it did. No problem hitting the fender
wells, but I do get slight rubbing of the "bump-out" in the inner
fender (above the axle center-line) when I make a sharp turn into a
"up-hill" driveway. Apparently the rear axle's axis moves a fair
amount relative to the body in that case. Also, I have 3/4 of an inch
difference, one side to the other, and it rubs on the short side only.
I couldn't center the axle, try as I might. I just make sure I do a
generous radius turn in those conditions.

I understand the wire wheel axle is about one inch shorter
(flange-to-flange) than the bolt-on axle, and it works to your
advantage with the offset the MOSS minilites have. BTW, I paid $600
for all four from a MOSS dealer, got a $30 discount with some other
stuff I bought, and didn't pay any shipping. They appear to be powder
coated, and the castings are smooth as glass. Be careful of
imitations.

195's may be too big, but they sure look nice... I get a lot of
comments on the car since the conversion from the tatty old wire
wheels I had. I can't tell any difference in the handling, but I am
not the most observant of such details.

For you folks up north, I took my '70 Roadster down to Sarasota (from
St. Petersburg) last Sunday... upper 70's, NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY, and
going over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge was almost surreal... April
can't be that far off for you guys, can it? (Make that May in
Wisconsin, and June in northern Minnesota)

Dave Tietz
'74 MGB-GT Daily Driver-sporting mean looking wheels
'70 MGB Weekend Driver-sporting tatty looking wire wheels from above
vehicle
'90 LeBaron with fake wire wheels (spoked wheel covers)